Friday, March 28, 2014

18 Months

This month Cooper turned a year and a half! Here are his stats from his 18 month appointment:

Length: 33 inches (66%)
Weight: 26.25 pounds (75%)
Head Circumference: 20 inches (99%)
Tooth Count: 7, with 3 more close behind

He is wearing 18 month pants and 24 month or 2T tops, size 4 diapers, and 3T hats :)



 I have learned that the "terrible 2's" start at about 14 months. At least for our son. Not to say that Cooper is "terrible" by any means. He is strong willed, opinionated, curious and attempting to be independent. All of which can be a little challenging when he can not communicate clearly and he is attempting to independently walk out the front door without adult supervision. I thought I had more time before things got so exciting.

He is full of energy these days. He loves exploring the world and trying new things. Typically he is nervous and shy at first but he warms up and joins in when he is comfortable.  In the last few months I have seen him find the courage to try new things more often. A perfect example of this is his behavior at Story Time. He has been going since he was like nine/ten months old. Since he could crawl I have tried to get him to participate from somewhere other than the comfort of my lap. No amount of persuasion could get him out of my lap. Then one day, he just got up and decided he wanted to listen to the story closer to the teacher. Not too close, but he was very far from my lap! My heart about exploded.



At every Story Time, the teacher passes out shakers for the kids to shake as they sing a few songs with her. The kids are encouraged to go get their own shaker and return it when they are done. Cooper has NEVER done this with out at least holding my hand. That same day, he just did it. All by himself. He got right in the middle of all the other toddlers and waited patiently. I did not think such a small act could make me so proud.



He has a lot to say, but most words are still in Cooper language. He does say: doggy, mama, dada, no, don't, no ma!, what's that?, woof, moo, meow, WOW!, uh-oh, 'ello? (hello) and a few others.

He is an excellent napper. I am praying that this continues once Adeline arrives. He takes a 2-4 hour nap every day! Thank goodness because his early wake-up time (between 5:30-6:30) does not allow me to sneak in a shower before we start our day. He goes to bed around 7:30.

Unfortunately, Cooper has taken after his father with his picky eating habits. (It is easier to blame Chris than admit that I am caving into Cooper's demands.) The kid is SO particular. What he eats one day he won't touch the next day. He hates his high chair. If he had it his way he would live on Ritz crackers and cheese while running through the house. I am not willing to admit how many times this has happened.

In an effort to give Cooper more independence when eating, I set up a little table for him. I was also hoping it would help with his desire to climb the dining room chairs. It works...



…sometimes.



An active toddler requires planned activities outside of the house. I try to have something planned for everyday of the week. He has Little Gym class on Tuesday, PEPS on Wednesday, we have a membership to the Bellevue (Factoria) Children's Museum, we frequent Toddler Time (it is at the community center- a gym full of toddler toys where they are free to run around), Story Time at the library, PEPS play dates and activities, and play dates with the neighbor kids.

Toddler time.



Children's Museum


Little Gym




Play dates with neighbors




He adores older kids. Everything Chloe does, he tries to do. The blanket "house" they made was too cute. He drew the line when she attempted to include his blankey in the house. 




Speaking of his blankey, he has become quite attached to his blankey and his teddy. It is funny how kids just latch onto objects. I didn't encourage it, it just happened. I would not have picked the stuffed animal that he did. It is not ideal to wash, but we make it work! Both items are only allowed in the house or the car. Unless he is spending the night somewhere. I didn't want to get in the habit of him bringing Teddy or blankey everywhere. Mostly, because I am terrified at the thought of losing one of these beloved possessions. 



We are both looking forward to warmer/drier weather so we can get outside and play! Parks, wagon rides, cruising in his Little Tykes car, the zoo, local farms… so much to do! He will love the Samammish beach this summer. Until then, we make the indoors as fun as possible.





I am trying to enjoy these last few months of life with just Cooper, myself and Chris. I know it is only going to change for the better, but this special time as a family of 3 is something I want to remember and appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment